Pecan & Almond Muesli with Seeds
Making your own Muesli is a great way to control your sugar consumption, plus being heavy handed with our favourite ingredients usually means that home-made muesli tastes better than store-bought equivalents. Try our tasty crunchy muesli for a delicious way to start your day.
TIP: You can swap the oats out and substitute them with buckwheat or puffed quinoa!
2 cups oats
1 tsp of cinammon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of vanilla extract or 1/2tsp of vanilla seeds
1/3 cup coconut chips
handful of crushed pecans
handful of slivered almonds
handful of pumpkin seeds
1/3 or 200g cup of butter (or coconut oil)
1/2 cup honey
1tsp of salt
dragonfruit, banana, kiwi or your choice of fruit to garnish
- Preheat your over to Fan 150°C degrees, or Bake to 170°C. Do not use the grill setting or you'll burn your nuts!
- Pour all of your dry ingredients including nuts and seeds into a large mixing bowl.
- Heat your butter or oil until warm (not bubbling!)
- Add your sugar/honey and spices to the fat and stir through until smooth. If you're using butter you can heat it to the point of foaminess.
- Turn off the heat and pour the liquid over your dry mix.
- Mix well with a big wooden spoon making sure that all your dry elements are equally coated.
- Spoon the mixture onto one or two oven trays so that your muesli is as thinly spread as possible.
- Cook for a total of about 30m or until golden, and use a spatula to turn over areas of your mixture every 10 minutes or so.
- Once cooked allow the muesli to cool out on the counter - do not store it while it's hot.
- Serve up on yogurt, with milk or on chia pudding with your choice of fresh fruits.
- Store in an airtight container until it's all gone (which wont take long!)